Call for SACEMA External Bursaries for 2017: Deadline 17 October 2016
>> Applications are now Closed <<
SACEMA invites applications for bursaries to study towards MSc or PhD degrees, based at and supervised from any institution in South Africa, in fields relating to epidemiological modelling and biostatistics. (Note: There is another call and associated application process for Internal Bursaries. If you intend to be based in Stellenbosch and supervised through SACEMA, you should respond to the Internal Bursary call here.)
A background in quantitative methods is required, and interdisciplinary experience is welcome. Previous exposure to SACEMA's core research areas will be an advantage, and priority will be given to applicants demonstrating high motivation and affinities for the following areas in which SACEMA's current projects lie:
- HIV surveillance; in particular, incidence estimation methods and their application.
- Transmission and spread of sexually transmitted infections; in particular, the role of age-disparate relationships and inference of sexual networks from multiple data sources.
- Antiretroviral treatment outcomes; in particular, treatment resistance and immunology.
- Evaluating options for the control and prevention of infectious diseases; in particular, strategies to eliminate HIV and TB transmission.
- Zoonotic and vector borne diseases; in particular, the impact of climate change on tsetse-borne trypanosomiasis.
- Interactions between infectious diseases and chronic conditions, at the scale of individuals or populations.
- Demographic and health system implications of changing patterns of mortality and disease.
- Disease processes at the individual level; in particular, development of cancer and mechanisms of TB reactivation.
For more information see full announcement
Closing date for applications: Monday 17 October 2016
Further enquiries may be directed to:
Ms Lynnemore Scheepers
Tel: 021 808 2589